Friday 11 May 2012

CPD23 - the beginning!

I'm currently working as a school librarian in a secondary school in N Somerset - and I love it!  I've decided to have a go at CPD23 as, with budgets getting ever tighter, opportunities for CPD are getting harder to come by.  I've long been wanting to find time to get into creating a blog, so as this was the first topic to tackle I was immediately tempted.  The other aspect that appeals is being able to do this at times that are convenient to me, either in the working day during quiet times (!) or at home.  I know I'm a little late starting, so will try to catch up.
I can see so many ways I could use a blog - but our current Head is pretty resistant to tech like this.  I've seen other local colleague's create fantastic blogs for their LRC - and I want one!  I also think this will be a really useful skill for me to learn.
Hard to believe that I have anything to say that anyone else will be in the least bit interested in, but I'll happily give it a go!

4 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm Katie, one of the cpd23 organising team, and the person who's processing the registrations. I hope you enjoy the course, and that you are able to use some of what you learn at work. There are quite a few school librarians taking part (see http://delicious.com/cpd23/2012+work:school) - you might together be able to devise ways of explaining the value of new tech to your school managements!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you'll benefit from the programme by learning new skills. These should be of use in promoting your service and for recording your professional development.

    I think the fact that we all display our work over the coming weeks provides us with good opportunities to see what others are doing in their libraries and from this we can gain new ideas to help develop our own service provision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you think it's surprising (if not a sad reflection on the perception of 'librarians') that we are all convinced no-one is going to be interested in what we have to say. As a school librarian myself, I often feel no-one realises what a position of influence we have, cutting across all age groups in the school (not to mention staff)and how great an effect we can have given the right support. Just keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I created my YA book recommendation blog BooksYALove so that I could still connect teens and books even though I'm not currently working in a school library.

    As teacher-librarians, we need to help our students learn how to navigate the technology landscape which will change drastically before they even finish school. If we can convince our school administrators that we have "the largest classroom in the school" as we teach all subjects - and their interconnections - including technology, then our students will have a fighting chance of becoming ethical consumers and creators of information.

    Stepping off my soap-box! Hope that the skills you learn in CPD23 launch you to explore which technology tools can best benefit your students through your library.

    Onward together through CPD23!!
    *Katy M
    cpd23 reflections at http://katyroo.blogspot.com
    Recommending YA books beyond the bestsellers at
    http://BooksYALove.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter @BooksYALove

    ReplyDelete